San Antonio Chamber of Commerce issued the following announcement on Feb. 7.
Your Chamber was on hand to congratulate Andeavor for its philanthropic contribution to the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center. The funds directly contributed to the unveiling of the new bloodmobile, which will directly impact our community by collecting blood at area blood drives. This state-of-the art bloodmobile provides donors:
- Adequate space to carry special equipment needed to collect platelets.
- Fewer windows to reduce the amount of sunlight that beams in during the summer months, providing a more comfortable donor experience.
- The addition of fixed furniture versus rolling/moveable furniture, allowing for more storage space and reducing repair and replacement costs.
- Wall-mounted computers that reduce the need for desk/storage space and movable screens to allow for easier viewing by donors.
- A redesigned phlebotomy area with back-to-back donor beds, allowing for greater donor privacy and a more efficient donor experience.
- The redesigned phlebotomy area also allows the donor to be facing new wall-mounted, digital monitors that will: allow staff to have a more interactive conversation with donors; provide donors with more/better educational information; and the ability to share patient stories with donors so they may better see the benefits of their donations.
The South Texas Blood and Tissue Center conducts approximately 3,000 blood drives on bloodmobiles, which accounts for roughly 79 percent of the incoming blood supply and is the largest blood supplier in our region.
Original source can be found here.